Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Almond biscuits



Last week I made these lovely, little almond biscuits, they are really quick to make and are delicious with a cup of coffee (or tea)

Pasticcini di mandorle - Makes about 15-20 maybe more if you roll them small.

Preheat the oven to 175°C  and line a baking tray with baking paper, I used a teflon baking sheet instead.

Then make sure you have a bowl with about 1/2 cup of icing sugar in it, as you will need to coat the biscuits before placing them on the baking tray then take:

2 medium sized eggs, break into a bowl and gently beat together, set aside until required.

Into a large bowl put the following ingredients:

300g ground almonds
200g icing sugar  (not icing sugar mixture which has cornflour in it)
grated zest of a large, unwaxed lemon

and mix together, then add the beaten eggs and using a fork bring the mixture together into a soft, sticky dough.  It gets a bit messy now, (I usually put on some disposable food handling gloves), take walnut sized lumps of dough, gently shape into a ball and then roll in the icing sugar until coated, then place on the baking tray.  Continue making the rest of the balls being sure to leave some space for them to swell, make an indentation into the centre of each ball so they cook evenly.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown underneath and cracked and a pale gold colour on top.  Allow to cool, and store in an airtight container.


We planted this Protea back in April and it has grown quite well, although it is still small it already has two lovely flowers, judging by some of other proteas growing in the neighbourhood it will grow into quite a large shrub.



I thought there needed to be a progress report on my Trip Around the World top, it has grown quite a bit since I last posted about it in May, it covers the top of the bed now and is too big for my design wall.  The extra blocks are the beginning of the last few complete rows, then there are several quarter rows to be added top and bottom before the outer triangles are added.





6 comments:

  1. Those biscuits are right up my street i love Almond and your scrappy trip round the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy Pip! Great to see your Tatw too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmarking your recipe ~ they look delicious! And your protea, what a gorgeous bloom.
    Nice progress on your TATW. Mine is languishing in a pile and with the holidays fast approaching, I think it will be winter before I get back to it. It is one of my favorite tops so far, though. I really enjoyed the process and look forward to returning to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those flowers, We called them pin cushions in the flower shop, the perfect flower for a sewer. It's clever of you to try a small patch of rows for your TATW. It's looking wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha Pip…..you must be catching up with blogs the same time as me as your message just came through! Thanks for the tip about the net for the raspberries…….and your efforts in the kitchen?? well I do hope we get a sample at judging day in a few hours! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum . . pity I'm allergic to almonds.
    Not allergic to pretty flowers however . . that photo is a quilt design in the making!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)