Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Crunchy granola (with chocolate)

When I go to Central Market I usually pop into one of the shops that sell bulk products (there are actually three), to stock up on chickpeas, rolled oats etc.  This time I was browsing around the shelves to see if there was anything new and came across a Raw Cacao, Quinoa granola so I bought a small amount (it was an outrageous price) as I wanted to see if I could duplicate it.   There are plenty of similar recipes for this floating around the Internet, but these are the proportions I used and what I did. 


Combine:
 1 cup of slivered almonds,
1 and a 1 /2 cups of coconut chips,
 1 and a 1/2 cups of buckwheat
 and
 4 cups of puffed quinoa in a large bowl.


In a small saucepan, put the following:

 1/2 cup coconut oil,
 1/2 cup cocoa*,
 1/2 cup rice malt syrup*,
 1 tsp vanilla extract, 
1/2 tsp salt
and cook over a gentle heat,
 stirring until it is well combined,
then pour over the dry ingredients.


 Mix well, it will take a little time
 but you want to make sure that the dry ingredients 
make an acquaintance with the cocoa mixture
Spread out in a large roasting pan, lined with baking paper
Bake at 175°C ( 350°F) for approximately 20 minutes
after 10 minutes you will need to take it out to give
it a bit of a stir.
Because of the dark colour it is hard to tell when
it is ready, but I've found 20 minutes is about right, 
check the almonds or coconut flakes for toastiness.



The granola I bought in the shop had raw, organic cacao powder, organic maple syrup, Himalayan rock salt and organic vanilla extract which no doubt boosted the price.

* You could substitute cacao powder instead of the cocoa, maple syrup makes a sweeter granola, you could probably try honey as well. 

I'm trying to cut back on our sugar intake so I tried rice malt syrup for the second batch instead of using the maple syrup, it was definitely less sweet but the Mister still gobbled it up happily.

2 comments:

  1. Delicious! My daughter will be very interested in this one as a treat for her brood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had chocolate granola. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)