Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Block Swap quilt top finished

and ready to move into the "To be quilted" pile. This quilt is all the swap blocks I received last year and this year.  Some of the blocks were a little smaller than the 12.5" unfinished block specified so I spent a bit of time thinking about how I would get the sashings to fit.  I looked through Gwen Marston's book Liberated Quiltmaking II for inspiration and noticed there were quite a few quilts that had no sashing at all and some that also had filler strips so I decided I would try that.


The top and bottom row are the blocks that are 12.5" and the two blocks on each side were all a little smaller so I pieced together more triangles to make filler strips and I think it has worked out quite well without too much agonising, I think the purple aboriginal dot used in the centre block will be great as the binding for this quilt.

6 comments:

  1. I really like how your HST sashing moves across and down the quilt. It ties it all together very well. a great solution for the smaller blocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this very much. I shall check out the book you mentioned. I could do with being more adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty blocks - love your color choices

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely Pip you should be really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous - clever you!!

    ReplyDelete