Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Knocked that one off

The Feathered Star is finished, not perfect but finished.  It is quite a challenging block to make, I had originally thought that I might make it with a combination of paper foundation piecing and piecing but as I mentioned earlier I had the template set from Meredithe  so templates and piecing it was.






This block took nearly three days to make (interspersed with frequent refreshment breaks of course), as always, you learn as you go and I discovered that my white background fabric was not really the best choice for this as it is quite a loosely woven fabric and doesn't survive the reverse sewing process too well (lots of starch helped here).  I had cut most of the small triangles and then the lightbulb went off in my head and I realised I should have layered a piece of red on top of the white and cut them together, something to remember for next time, and there will be a next time as I quite enjoyed the process of making this block and would like to make more.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous block Pip. Such precision . . . dont know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a wonderful block that you made - I agree the feathered star is a tough one to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your stickability. It is a difficult one for sure.. Is the Lone star next? I found that one even more difficult. But as you say they are a lot of fun and well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is GORGEOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worth the effort Pip - this block is VERY beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful feathered star. I used the paper piecing method when I did mine and really liked the precision that I got with it. I REALLY like this color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Pip, well done!

    ReplyDelete